Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Ketchum, ID?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is hitting Ketchum and there is still time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors will help ensure that your home remains and helps save on your energy bills.
What can you do to prepare your windows and doors for winter?
- Make sure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Inspect your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from leaking in when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from entering the home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Ketchum at 208-726-0060.