How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a stage every Ketchum winter when you can’t seem to find the source of the draft in your home. It could potentially be coming from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and chilly, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help save money and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some beneficial tips to pinpoint your Ketchum home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Examine for gaps and fractures in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with functional abilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Test the installation by establishing if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only operate as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Ketchum to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Ketchum a call at 208-726-0060 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.