Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Ketchum, ID
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help increase the visual features in your home. One issue homeowners have with wood windows is the potential for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their food from wood, which can cause homeowners a lot of headaches when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avoid termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to get rid of or decrease the opportunity for termites to get near your home. Here are a few tips from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help reduce the probability of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or decaying wood. Termites will use this as a pathway to get to the house. Even more so for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also search for water and moisture, so it’s important to make certain your home, including small crawl spaces, are appropriately ventilated and permit air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Clogged gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are near the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. A lot of termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their ideal chance to get in to the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Ketchum has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers innovative protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can inspect your home for any existing termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avert any damage, visit the Ketchum showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our pros give you a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 208-726-0060 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.